Associate of arts in Communication
Overview of Associate of Arts in Pre-Communication
The Associate in Arts in Pre-Communication degree will provide you with a Bible-centered, general course of study preparing you for further undergraduate education at public and private 4-year colleges and universities. The degree is designed as a transfer degree so that students are able to complete a degree in communication and graduate on time. Students who complete this degree will have met all of the MnSCU (Minnesota State Colleges and Universities) Liberal Education requirements; however, transferability is determined by the receiving institution.
Who Should Apply
Individuals with an interest in communication, and those who value an education rooted in a biblical worldview.
You will be prepared for empoyment at organizations that require a 2-year degree. Many AA students transfer to other institutions in programs like education, nursing/health care, mass communications, social work, history, English, criminal justice, engineering, and many others.
60 credits required including: General Education (40), Biblical Studies (12), Christian Ministry (8).
Each academic program of the college provides the context for whole life transformation through biblical life preparation. Students come to learn, learn to serve, and serve to change lives. Through the courses offered in each program, students will develop a Christ-centered worldview and be prepared to make a difference in the world through their lives, work and service to others.
The courses of study in each degree proceed from foundational to exploratory to immersion courses. Areas of study for each degree will include general education, biblical studies, Christian ministry and service, and core courses in the major.
Students will be challenged to grow in their knowledge of self, others, the world and the Bible. They will be challenged to grow in their critical
thinking, development of a biblical worldview and the integration of their faith and learning.
Foundational courses – 45 credits
General Education – 21 Credits
- College Writing I (3 credits)
- College Writing II (3 credits)
- Intercultural Communications (3 credits)
- Math/Science Electives (3 credits)
- Social Science Electives (3 credits)
- General Education Electives (3 credits)
- Intro to Communications (3 credits)
biblical studies – 12 Credits
- Old Testament Survey (3 credits)
- New Testament Survey (3 credits)
- Christian Faith (3 credits)
- Spiritual Formation I (3 credit)
Christian ministry – 6 Credits
- Spiritual Formation II (3 credits)
- Faith and Life and/or Student Outreach (3 credits)
communications – 6 Credits
- Principle and Practices (3 credits)
- Communication/Free Elective (3 credits)
Explorational courses – 15 credits
General Education – 9 Credits
- Worldviews (3 credits)
- History Elective (3 credits)
- Interpretation of Biblical Literature (3 credits)
- Sophomore Assessment (0 credits)
Communications – 6 Credits
- Communications and Ethics (3 credits)
- Writing for Social Media (3 credits)
Dr. Sherry Shindelar
HUMANITIES INSTRUCTOR AND DIRECTOR OF ONLINE EDUCATION
Program Director: Online Education
Instructor: Humanities, English
Bachelors of Fine Arts: Creative and Professional Writing
Bemidji State University
M.A. in English
Bemidji State University
PhD in Literature and Criticism
Indiana University of Pennsylvania