bachelor of arts in camp ministry and biblical studies
Overview of Camp Ministry and Biblical Studies
This is a cooperative program with Forest Springs Camp & Conference Center in Westboro, Wisconsin. Students complete three years of biblical studies, Christian ministry, and general education at Oak Hills, then spend a year at Forest Springs’ Leadership Training and Development (LTD) program. The training at Forest Springs will prepare you for effective ministry in Christian camping through classroom instruction, informal discussion, and hands-on experiences in the major operational areas of year-round Christian camping.
Who Should Apply
Individuals with previous camp ministry experience who are pursuing a career in Christian camping.
Individuals who have a desire to make a difference in the lives of youth.
This program will prepare you for service in a Christian camping role.
You will gain a foundational understanding of the Bible, develop Christian leadership skills, and build a strong and practical work ethic.
Graduates can expect to find positions that vary from entry level internships to administrative leadership positions in camps around the United States and throughout the world. Camp jobs are available both as salaried and missionary support based.
120 credits required including: Camp Ministry (33), Biblical Studies (30), General Education (30), Christian Ministry (15), Free Electives (12).
Each academic program of the college provides the context for whole life transformation through biblical life preparation. Students come to learn, learn to serve, and serve to change lives. Through the courses offered in each program, students will develop a Christ-centered worldview and be prepared to make a difference in the world through their lives, work and service to others.
The courses of study in each degree proceed from foundational to exploratory to immersion courses. Areas of study for each degree will include general education, biblical studies, Christian ministry and service, and core courses in the major.
Students will be challenged to grow in their knowledge of self, others, the world and the Bible. They will be challenged to grow in their critical
thinking, development of a biblical worldview and the integration of their faith and learning.
Foundational courses – 50 credits
General Education – 18 Credits
- College Writing I (3 credits)
- College Writing II (3 credits)
- Intercultural Communications (3 credits)
- Science/Math Elective (3 credits)
- General Education Electives (6 credits)
biblical studies – 12 Credits
- Old Testament Survey (3 credits)
- New Testament Survey (3 credits)
- Interpretation of Biblical Literature (3 credits)
- Christian Faith (3 credits)
Christian ministry – 12 Credits
- Spiritual Formation I (3 credit)
- Spiritual Formation II (3 credits)
- Teaching in Ministry (3 credits)
- Faith and Life (2 credits)
- Student Outreach (1 credit)
Camp Ministry – 8 Credits
- Camp Counseling (3 credits)
- Camp Safety (1 credit)
- Families in Ministry (1 credit)
- Camp Maintenance (3 credits)
exploration courses – 28 credits
General Education – 12 Credits
- Worldviews (3 credits)
- World History (3 credits)
- Church History (3 credits)
- Humanities Elective (3 credits)
Biblical Studies – 6 Credits
- Old Testament Electives (3 credits, Upper Level)
- New Testament Elective (3 credits, Upper Level)
Christian ministry – 3 Credits
- Outreach (1 credit)
- Intercultural Outreach (2 credits, Upper Level)
Camp ministry – 7 Credits
- Food Service Management (3 credits)
- Promotion/Public Relations (3 credits)
- Camp Teaching (1 credit)
immersion courses – 30 credits
General Education – 0 Credits
- Camp Assessment (0 credits)
Biblical Studies – 12 Credits
- Romans (3 credits)
- Bible/Theology Electives (3 credits, Upper Level)
- Bible Electives (6 credits)
Camp ministry – 18 Credits
- Camp Programming (4 credits)
- Camp Organization (6 credits)
- Camp Administration (5 credits)
- Camp Management (3 credits)
free electives – 12 Credits
Program Director: Camp Ministry
Camp Director: Camp Oak Hills
B.A. in Biblical Studies and Camp Ministry
Oak Hills Christian College, Bemidji, MN